Friday 28th June – Last day of the School Year. School finishes at 12:00
Our school library is now closed for borrowing in order for Mrs Lowe to do a stock take. Please take this opportunity to have a look at home for any books that you may have at home.
|PE Kit||Library Bags|
|2D||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||Thursday|
|2F||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday||Thursday|
|2K||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||Wednesday|
Unit of Inquiry
The children have begun making posters about different countries. Some children are making a poster about a made up country, whilst others are researching and summarising information about countries of their choosing, such as Malaysia, Japan and Brazil! Some of the children have had the opportunity to use the Chromebooks. They have explored how to use Google Drawings to collect photographs of different places and the experiences you can do there.
The children have been reviewing different areas in Maths, such as the jump strategy for addition and subtraction, place value and time.
The children have been travel writers, using descriptive language to describe significant features of Hong Kong.
Next week, we will focus on N for Nurture, this means to look after ourselves and others. Children will be thinking about the role models in their lives and people who help them be brave. Please discuss your role models with your child and encourage your child to continue to practise turning red thoughts into green.
Suggested stories to share are: My Dad or My Mum by Anthony Browne, Gordon’s Got a Snookie by Lisa Shanahan.
The username and password to log into FunFriends online is in your child’s Home School Diary.
Central idea: Geography influences our experiences
Lines of inquiry
- The significant features of places -form
- How the features of a place influence our experiences -causation
- The relationship of our location to other parts of the world – connection
Next week the children will make posters about their chosen country.
MATHLETICS: Please find some time to use Mathletics at home. All the Year 2 tasks are now accessible to the children.
Next week the children will be playing a range of Maths games to practise their skills. Some might move on to making their own games to play!
All of the Year 2 classes have also spent some time on the Daily 10. This is a useful way to check and support your child’s mental maths skills. Different levels can be set. Please see the link below: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/daily10
Hit the Button is another fun game that practises a range of different mental maths, including multiplication facts. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
Writing focus: Writing to describe
Next week the children will apply their travel writing skills to create their country posters.
Reading focus: Determining Importance
Next week the children will continue to read about and research different countries.
Support your child’s understanding of Measurement even further at home with the following ideas.
- Invite your child into the kitchen and have them help weighing and pouring out ingredients for baking.
- Let them weigh themselves and other objects on the family scales.
- Measure their height and help them measure the heights of other people in the family.
- Engage them in discussions around estimation, for example, “I think the chair is about 10 hands high. What do you think?” or “I think this milk bottle holds more liquid than this can of coke. How can we find out?”
- Let them play with measuring cups, jugs and spoons in the shower or bathtub.