5D – Monday and Friday
5F – Wednesday and Thursday
5C – Wednesday and Friday
Unit of Inquiry
This week we commenced our unit of inquiry on Wellbeing!
In 5D we discussed different wellbeing statements as a class and how wellbeing is about more than just our physical health.
We created strength chains and made a fantastic display in our classroom.
We even did some meditating and yoga practice in the Drama Studio!
To get us started with our new unit on Poetry. We tried our hand at doing some dramatic readings of “Jim” by Hillaire Belloc.
Here’s a fantastic effort from Aadit and Rakin.
In maths, we have been looking at area and perimeter again, refreshing ourselves on how to calculate the area and perimeter of compound shapes with missing values, like the one below.
Ask your child to help you with this shape!
Transdisciplinary Theme – Who We Are
Central Idea – Choices we make allow individuals to experience well-being in their lives.
An inquiry into..
factors affecting our well-being (form)
strategies informed choices (responsibility)
coping with life changes (change)
An inquiry into.
- Patterns using words, symbols, numbers , tables and graphs
- Rules for patterns to predict future terms
- Equivalent number sentences involving multiplication and division to find unknown quantities.
- Factors and multiples of whole numbers
Strand Maths – Shape and Space
Manipulation of shape and space takes place for a particular purpose.
An inquiry into…
- creating, describing and visualising 2D & 3D shapes (UOI 1)
- transforming shapes
- locating points on a grid
Reading Focus – For this unit, our reading comprehension strategy is Inferring.
Inferring is when we decode messages that are not explicit.
A common method we use at Beacon Hill is
Inference = Text Clues + Background Knowledge
Writing Focus – Poetry
Big Idea: To get information across to a reader in an engaging but clear way using various structures depending on the purpose
- Read the Weekly Update
- Mathletics – continue with the set tasks or feel free to try any others that you feel you want to practice.
- Prodigy – please continue on with your Prodigy online games.
- Quizlet – please continue to use Quizlet to help you learn your spelling words and meanings.
- Spelling – The children are sent home their 10 personal words that they need to learn for the week. The will happen on a Monday for 5F, Wednesday for 5D and Friday for 5C. Please, can a parent (or responsible adult) support the children by...testing them (written or oral), getting them to put their words into interesting sentences (written or oral), discussing the meanings of the words, thinking about synonyms and antonyms of that word, discussing words with a similar meaning etc.
- Reading – The children will be choosing leveled readers based on their own ability and are expected to read each night for at least 20mins at home with a parent. The children need to record their reading in their Reading Journals and parents can you please sign your child’s journal each night? Journals need to be returned to school each morning to be checked and will come home each evening (except Friday). Children may use Big Universe twice a week (only) as their choice of home reading
- Mandarin Home Learning –