- 7th December – Yr 4 LEAP
- 11th December – PTA Christmas Disco
- 15th December – Year 4 Christmas party
- 16th December – PTA Christmas Concert, 7 pm
- 18th December – School Closes at 12 pm for end of Term 1
- 4th January – Term 2 school begins
- PE uniform days for each class – Tuesdays and Wednesdays for 4M, Wednesdays and Thursday for 4W and Mondays and Wednesday for 4J.
- An information form will be coming home about the classes’ Christmas parties, which will have food requirements listed for you child to bring to school. Please do not bring any extra food other than what is requested as we usually end up with leftover food and would like to minimise wastage.
- LEAP is on Monday, students from 4J are reminded to bring in their own lunches as there will be no Delifresh due to the LEAP schedule. 4M and 4W will have Delifresh as normal.
- Portfolios will be sent home on the last day of school. Please have a look with your child over the holidays and be prepared to bring them back to school after the Christmas break.
At the pitch this week the teachers were very impressed with the strengths the children showed involving others in their games and collaborating to create their own games that used the space well. Well done to all the children of Year 4!
Piecing it all together!
This week we began our new Where We are in Place and Time inquiry into how explorations and discoveries have shaped our modern world. Encourage your children to take action by looking through their personal bookshelves and local libraries for areas of interest in our new subject. Also, take some time to talk about continents and countries around the world – check out your local atlases!
Shout it out loud!
In English this week the students completed the pre-assessment for persuasive writing. They wrote a letter to Mr. Harrison about their opinion on homework. The students certainly had some interesting perspectives! Students also used the programme ‘Kahoot!’ to complete quizzes to identify and differentiate between facts and opinions.
Where We Are In Place and Time
Central Idea: Change in our world can happen through exploration and discovery
Lines of Inquiry
- Explorations and discoveries that have changed our world
- The reasons why people choose to explore and discover
- The effects of exploration and discovery on the recording of time
Concepts: change, causation and connections
Learner Profile: courageous
Attitudes: curiosity and Integrity
In the coming week we will unpack what exploration and discovery mean. We will be looking at time zones and how they came to be, other great discoveries and recording change over time on a timeline.
Pattern and Function
Central Idea – By analysing patterns and identifying rules for patterns it is possible to make predictions
- Prime Numbers
- Composite Numbers
- Square Numbers
- Triangular Numbers
- Factors and Multiples
Measurement – Time
Central Idea (Strand)- Events have attributes that can be measured using appropriate tools.
Lines of Inquiry
Solving real-life situations using time
The many ways of recording and measuring time
The children will be:
- Inquiring into how measurement of time has developed (linked with U.O.I)
- Reading time to the nearest minute
- Calculating elapsed time
- Reading 24 hour clocks
- Using am and pm
This week will see the pre-assessment for the time unit. Timelines will be covered in UOI and we will be reading time to 1 minute. Wearing watches is encouraged!