Monday 13th May – Public Holiday
Tuesday 14th May – BHS CPD – School Closed
Tuesday 28th May – Year 1 Bake Sale. Bring some money and a container for a tasty treat!
Thursday 30th May – PTA Quiz
Tuesday 4th June – Year 3 Bake Sale. Bring some money for a tasty treat!
Friday 7th June – Dragon Boat Festival. School closed.
Friday 28th June – Last day of the School Year. School finishes at 12:00
|PE Kit||Library Bags|
|2D||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||Thursday|
|2F||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday||Thursday|
|2K||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||Wednesday|
Year 2 visited the Year 6 Exhibition to see what the older children have been learning about, how they’ve taken action and the different ways they’ve chosen to present their learning.
Unit of Inquiry
This week the children have been thinking about the choices people make when deciding which forms of transportation they want to use.
The children have been sorting and describing 2D and 3D shapes using appropriate vocabulary.
The children have continued to apply their comprehension skills to the online transport resources they have been using to plan their trips.
Guided Reading has also focused on inference. The children have looked for clues in the text and illustrations to answer questions.
We have continued enjoying “R” for “RELAX”! In these sessions, the children will discuss how the body sends us signals to indicate when we are hungry, thirsty, need a rest, etc. They will also share and learn relaxation techniques and strategies, such as Bubble Breathing. Find out more by using the username and password in your child’s Home School Diary to log into the Fun Friends online programme!
Central idea: Geography influences our experiences
Lines of in inquiry
- The significant features of places -form
- How the features of a place influence our experiences -causation
- The relationship of our location to other parts of the world – connection
The children were excited to learn that they will now be inquiring into different places around the world.
Central Idea: Shapes are classified and named according to their properties
Lines of Inquiry
- Sort, describe, construct and label familiar two-dimensional shapes and three-dimensional objects in the environment using appropriate vocabulary
- Identify and record examples of symmetry in the environment
Next week the children will wrap up their learning about properties of 2D and 3D shapes. The shape activities on Mathletics have now been released so please do make the most of this fabulous learning tool at home. They will move on to discuss probability using terms such as likely and unlikely.
All of the Year 2 classes have also spent some time on the Daily 10. This is a useful way to check and support your child’s mental maths skills. Different levels can be set. Please see the link below: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/daily10
Hit the Button is another fun game that practises a range of different mental maths, including multiplication facts. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
Writing focus: Writing to describe
Next week the children will be
Reading focus: Inferring
The Year 2 teachers will continue to carry out the final reading assessments of Year 2. Please note that these are carried out on an individual basis and can take around 15 minutes per child, per book so the process can take a long time, particularly when children read multiple texts.
2D – Hobert Yau
2F – Nathaniel Lee, Adam Pan, Jamie Loynd
Support your child’s understanding of Measurement even further at home with the following ideas.
- Invite your child into the kitchen and have them help weighing and pouring out ingredients for baking.
- Let them weigh themselves and other objects on the family scales.
- Measure their height and help them measure the heights of other people in the family.
- Engage them in discussions around estimation, for example, “I think the chair is about 10 hands high. What do you think?” or “I think this milk bottle holds more liquid than this can of coke. How can we find out?”
- Let them play with measuring cups, jugs and spoons in the shower or bathtub.