Wednesday 16th October – Camp Information Evening 7 pm….. in the school hall
Friday 18th October – PTA Bowling event
Tuesday 22nd October – PTA Bake Sale….please bring in some coins and a reusable container to buy some baked goodies to support our PTA
Friday 25th October – BHS staff training….school closed
Tuesday 29th & 30th October – School photos
Monday 4th – Wednesday 6th November – Year 4 Camp
Monday 4th November – Mandarin Parent/Teacher Consultations…. please sign up soon via The Gateway
Wednesday 6th November – Mandarin Parent/Teacher Consultations…. please sign up soon via The Gateway
Tuesday 12th November – PTA Bake Sale….please bring in some coins and a reusable container to buy some baked goodies to support our PTA
Wednesday 13th November – Mandarin Parent/Teacher Consultations…. please sign up soon via The Gateway
Wednesday 20th November – Mandarin Parent/Teacher Consultations…. please sign up soon via The Gateway
Friday 22nd November – Mandarin Parent/Teacher Consultations…. please sign up soon via The Gateway
Friday 22nd November – reports go live to parents on The Beacon today
This week we have been reading about different habitats and have been using the comprehension strategy determining importance when note-taking. We continued our fantastic writing and vocabulary extension work with Ms Jeves this week where we did some quick note making on a chosen habitat and shared our examples with the class. We looked at some different examples of writing about the rainforest and compared the writing and looked at the word choices the author had used.
This week we started our new unit on addition and subtraction, we completed our pre-assessment and worked on some open-ended problem-solving questions.
This week we continued with reading and sharing about different world habitats. We have carried on thinking about how humans impact on the habitats of other living things.
In the Cloud, Mr Lowe we started to do some research on a specific habitat that we will begin to make in our maker sessions after half term.
In the Art room, with Ms Cassie we have been working in groups of five, to produce a large-scale animal sculpture. This allowed us to develop our clay manipulation skills and make very careful observations of animals in order to create our 3D models.
Transdipinary Theme: Sharing the Planet
Central Idea: People’s behaviour impacts on the habitats of other living things.
Lines of Inquiry:
An inquiry into…
- different types of livings things (Form)
- what living things need to survive (Connection)
- human responsibility to the survival of living things (Responsibility)
Central Idea: The operations of addition and subtraction are related to each other and used to process information to solve problems.
Lines of Inquiry:
An inquiry into…
- the different ways to model/show addition and subtraction
- mental strategies that can be used to solve addition and subtraction
- written strategies that can be used to solve addition and subtraction
Here are some questions we will be exploring throughout this UOI, maybe some of them you could discuss at home whilst you are monitoring your child with their Mathletics or Podigiy Home Learning.
- What are the different ways I can model addition and subtraction?
- How can trading games help practice addition and subtraction?
- What are the different ways to add and subtract on paper?
- Where do I use addition and subtraction in my world?
- What are the ways I can add and subtract in my head?
- Why do I have to add and subtract in my head?
- How do I know when I should use a mental or written strategy?
- How does place value help me add and subtract?
- What is an equivalent number sentence?
- How can I use different numbers to get the same answers?
- What is regrouping/trading?
- How can I demonstrate regrouping?
- How does regrouping and renaming help me add and subtract?
- How does estimation help me check my answers?
- How can rounding help me know if my answers are reasonable?
- How can symbols be used to represent numbers in equivalent number sentences?
Writing – we will be continuing our work with Ms Jeves and how we can use interesting language whilst writing non-fiction texts. The children have also spent some time recently publishing their own writing! We have discussed the important steps in the writing process of revising and editing also.
Reading – we will be focussing on the comprehension strategy of Determining importance for our current UOI. Readers read with a purpose and look for what is important. We have been practising different ways of note-taking and looking for the important words in a text.
Throughout the year we will focus on all of the comprehension strategies to help with our understanding, fluency, and comprehension.
Maths – please continue to work on the Mathletics tasks that your teacher has set for you. Your child has also ben enrolled in an online Maths programme called Prodigy game that we are also able to monitor, you can also create a parent account.
Practicing and reviewing quick recall of your number facts is important! There is a great online program called Hit the Button which can help you to do this.
Prodigy – all 3 classes can continue their Prodigy maths gaming at home too!
Reading – please continue reading nightly together and signing your child’s diary. A comment every week would be a nice touch too. There are also questions in the front of the reading diaries that you could ask your child to help them with their comprehension. Don’t forget the importance of reading TO your child also.
Spelling – please continue to learn your personal words at home ready for our buddy test on Friday.
We are finding that at school sometimes children are awfully tired and are finding it difficult to learn, here’s a handy chart to help you decide on suitable bedtimes for your child…